Make the most of your garden with a greenhouse
No matter how much outside space you have or what you want to grow, there’s a greenhouse out there that’s perfect for you. With size, shape and structure to think about, our guide will help you make the right choice.
What’s a greenhouse for?
Veg plants, seeds and flowers just love a greenhouse...
- They turn light energy into heat energy, which your plants use to grow
- They help you create ideal growing conditions for your plants
- They protect your plants from the cold, helping you to grow out of season
- They create an environment you have much more control over compared to if you were growing directly in your garden
Why would you want one?
A greenhouse has many uses...
- A greenhouse is great for controlling the conditions for your plants, flower seeds and bulbs
- They can be useful at times of the year when it's unexpectedly cold outside
- They’re great for growing plants and vegetable seeds that you wouldn’t normally be able to grow in your local area
- They extend the sowing season, helping you plant early and later in the year and then transplant outside when warmer weather arrives
- They can be a massive help if you want to grow more exotic plants, fruit or veg that wouldn’t normally grow successfully in the UK
Do you have room for a greenhouse?
Greenhouses come in all shapes and sizes, and are designed to suit all uses and outside spaces
- If you’re limited on outdoor space or just don’t want to commit to the investment of a large greenhouse, you can try a mini greenhouse
- A mini greenhouse takes up – as you’d expect – a lot less space but is ideal for seed propagators and small growing kits
- However, if space is less of an issue and you have bigger plans, you could go for a more traditional full-size greenhouse, giving you much more space to grow
- Alternatively, you could choose a coldframe greenhouse, which takes much less space but offers a great growing environment for young plants – that's a little win!
How do I get started?
It’s all about the prep...
- Plan out what space you have and what you want to grow - this is essential for you to decide what kind of greenhouse will be right for you. Be careful not to cram in too many plants – they'll need space to thrive
- Choose the right pots, propagators and seed trays for your plants, making sure they have adequate space for roots to form good structures before you transfer them outside or into bigger pots
- Remember to allow for ventilation - on warmer days, you’ll want to make sure you have good air circulation, so it doesn’t get too hot
- Want to add style? Choose decorative plant pots for your greenhouse
- Finally, don’t forget to plan in time for a flexible watering schedule that considers the weather and the needs of your plants. On hot days they'll need more water and they'll benefit from being watered in the morning before it gets too hot
We hope this guide helps you on your way to buying the perfect greenhouse for your garden.
For more gardening little wins, visit www.wilko.com