What to pack for your summer holiday
Planning a summer holiday is no easy feat. There's the booking, organising and then packing the suitcases! If you struggle to get organised for your trip away, then this blog is perfect for you.
Planning for a staycation?
If it's a staycation you're heading on, then you can pack up the car boot till it's bursting! From kids’ outdoor games to beach wind breakers, here's all you'll need:
- Bat and ball games - perfect for the beach and garden fun
- Clothes for unpredictable British weather - think shorts and jumpers…and a raincoat!
- Sun cream (factor 50 is recommended for the kids) sunglasses, hats
- Picnic dining set and cool bag - ideal for days at the beach
- Windbreaker and camping chairs for the beach
- Bed linen and towels depending on what's provided in your accommodation
- Mini portable or disposable BBQ - perfect for watching the sun go down
- Don't forget the suitcases to pop it all in!
Top tip - if you’ve booked a holiday home, then don’t forget to pre-buy food for the duration of your stay. If you've got a long drive then consider ordering a food delivery to arrive on the same day you get to your destination.
Going camping? Don’t forget:
- Sleeping bag
- Roll mat/blow-up bed
- Picnic set
- Camping chairs
- Portable BBQ or cooking stove
- Fly net
- Bug spray
- Warm clothes
- Portable charger
What to pack when heading abroad?
You're limited to what you can take with you when you have to pack it all into a suitcase, so it's best to pack wisely and only take what you need. Here’s the essentials you can’t do without:
- Kids’ goggles
- Sandals/flip flops
- Sun cream
- Hats and sunglasses
- Beach bag
- Beach towels
- Toiletries/make-up - travel minis are ideal
- Clothes for sunny weather and jumper for cold evenings
- Portable fan
- Bug spray
- Reusable water bottle
- Kids’ beach ball - deflated of course!
You can always buy things like sun cream and beach balls when you're on your holiday, but if you can fit it in your case then by all means, pack it in!
Planning on getting some walks in on your trip? Don’t forget the trainers or hikers.
Top tip – vacuum pack your beach towels and large clothes to save on space
Save space and keep your luggage safe with these top packing tips:
- Vacuum pack bulky clothes and towels
- Roll your clothes instead of folding
- Keep your clothes smelling fresh with fabric conditioner sheets
- Fill dead space – think socks inside shoes and handbags
- Seal your liquids
- Protect gadgets in zip lock bags
- Keep it organised with packing cubes
- Help your case stand out from others with a coloured tie
- Pop an Apple AirTag in your suitcase so you can track it
- Make the most of hand luggage!
- Weigh before you set off to avoid those airport charges
Keep the kids entertained
If you've got a long way to travel, then you'll need to keep the kids entertained. Here's our favourite ways:
- Colouring/sticker books and crayons
- Snacks/drinks for the journey
- iPad and the all-important charger
- Their favourite teddy
The important things
Now your case is packed, don’t forget about these hand luggage essentials:
- First-aid kit
- Passports - a pretty passport holder will keep it protected
- Booking and ticket information
- Phone chargers
Make the journey comfy
These tips are a must for travel whether it’s a staycation or a holiday destination abroad:
- Travel/neck pillow
- Flight socks
- Travel in comfy clothes
- Books/magazines to help pass the time
- Face wipes to freshen up
Don't leave it to the last minute. Before you go away, remember to...
- Turn electrical equipment off
- Lock windows and garage doors •
- Close curtains
- Set automatic timers