How to make your home smell great!
We all love getting home to a fresh smelling home after a hard day’s work. There’s more than one way to make your house smell amazing... In this blog, we’re bringing you lots of little wins to help your house smell amazing all year round...
Make your own air fresheners
Making your home smell good isn’t always about creating gorgeous smells – it’s also about trapping and getting rid of bad smells around the home.
There are lots of natural air fresheners you can make yourself:
- Baking soda – a simple bowl of baking soda can help absorb smells in the room you put it in – perfect for kitchens. It can also be a great little trick for a fridge too – pop a bowl into your fridge and it can help absorb strong food smells!
- White vinegar – just like basing soda, a bowl of white vinegar can help absorb smells – especially useful in the kitchen where it can soak up cooking smells
- Lemon water – pop a few slices of lemon in some cool water and not only will you have another way of absorbing odours - this trick also creates a nice citrus scent
Want a quick solution for creating a fresh scent that looks great too? A fragranced candle is your best option! We’re spoiled for choice with candle fragrances. Why not can choose a different scent for every room in your home?
- Jar candles – for a statement, go for a jar candle. There are lots of different types to choose from and the jars will add style to your room
- Pillar candle – best for when creating your own display and giving you lots of flexibility, scented pillar candles are perfect for adding personality
- Tealight candle – who doesn’t love a tealight candle? Small and discrete, scented tealight candles allow you to layer the scent across different parts of a room, helping you easily create more even coverage. Put them in a nice display and they can make your room look even better!
- Aromatherapy candle – some scented candles aren’t just there to smell nice! Combined with some essential oils, aromatherapy candles can help you de-stress and make your room smell great – that's a little win!
Remember not to leave lit candles unattended.
Diffusers and burners
Diffusers and burners come in lots of shapes and sizes and can create a welcoming atmosphere in your home.
- Reed diffusers – these are a great, low maintenance, practical solution for anyone short on time and looking for a natural smell
- Automatic air fresheners – these give you much more control of the fragrances in your home, giving regular aromatic bursts, whether through motion sensor, or an activated timer on a plug-in air freshener. There are different types for each room of the house, allowing you to really personalise how your home smells. And with air freshener refills you can reuse your automatic air freshener again and again...
- Oil burners – these are a simple, versatile option that can look beautiful in your home and give you lots flexibility for creating different scents around the home
Whatever one works best for you, diffusers and burners help you to create a fragrance that suits your home.
Make your space instantly welcoming with beautiful fragrance that lasts using the help of potpourri.
Not only will potpourri add a beautiful decorative touch to any room, it can also smell amazing.
Available in a variety of different fragrances to help you create everything from relaxing to invigorating settings, our scented potpourri will help transform your space in no time. From fruit potpourri like apple or tropical passionfruit, to softer fragrances like sandalwood and seasonal scents, it's easy to inject beautifully fresh scents into your home. Don’t forget to put it in a lovely display dish!
You can even pop some potpourri in a small net bag and place it in your drawers for an extra burst of fragrance.
There’s nothing more direct and easier to use than a good old room spray if you’ve got a smell you want to cover quickly in your home.
We all know how room sprays work and they’re great for those bad smell emergencies or just when you need to give a room a quick scent refresh!
From rich, fruity smells to more subtle hints, there are room sprays for every person and every room.
Here are a few little wins to help you get more out of them:
- Spray inside your bin before you put in a bin bag – this'll help keep it smelling fresh and combat those nasty bin smells!
- They work as a great fabric freshener. Add a fine spray to your curtains, throws and cushions. It works especially well on warm days when you can have the windows open and have a nice breeze to circulate the scent
- Spritz your pillows with a fine mist early in the day, so that by the time you go to bed they’re smelling fresh and clean.
Room sprays are probably the simplest and most versatile way of refreshing your home.
Add some extra fragrance around the home
Here are some more little wins to help make your home smell great:
- Ironing water - using fragranced ironing water not only leaves your clothes smelling beautiful but it also increases the lifespan of your iron. Using regular tap water that hasn’t been distilled can cause a build-up of limescale, reducing the performance of your iron
- Dryer sheets – not only do tumble dryer sheets make your clothes smell good, you can also use them around your home to boost those lovely smells. Pop one in the back of a clothes drawer and it'll leave your clothes smelling sweet
- Fragrance boosters – these contain technology which allows the fragrance particles to cling to fabrics. The particles release their fragrance after washing, meaning your clothes will be left smelling lovely, long after they’ve been washed!
There are so many options to make your home smell fresh, just choose the solution works best for you and your home.
For more on keeping your home clean, visit www.wilko.com