5 ways to update your home in a weekend
If lockdown has meant your home is looking a little tired and you’ve let things get on top of you, then not to worry, our 5 quick decorating jobs can have your home looking brand new, in just a weekend! With autumn around the corner, it’s time to get the home looking cosy, adding simple finishing touches that make an impact.
1. Fix cracks in wall
If you have a crack in the wall, it can be a real distraction! Not to worry, we’ve got all the tips to tackle this DIY nightmare:Step one Step two
Apply ready mixed filler over the cracks. Our wilko Ready Mix Quick Dry Filler 330g 0215766 is perfect for filling small gaps and cracks up to 3mm. The ready-mixed solution will save time and effort, and it has a quick-drying formula. Apply a small amount of filler to the end of a scraper, use the scraper to add the filler to the crack and scape over to remove most of the excess. Wait until the filler is fully dried.Step three
Sand down the filler, take off the top layer and file until smoothStep four
2. Refresh walls with pale neutrals
If your walls are looking tired, update them with the existing colour or go for pale, neutral shades that go with anything and won’t require a full room makeover. It’s amazing what a lick of paint can do to brighten a space.
Choose from our great range of finishes to suit your room. Tough and washable for busy spaces, flat matt for a chalky finish, or paints designed for specific rooms in mind like the kitchen and bathroom.
These forgivable shades detract sticky fingers, mucky pups and general knocks from everyday life:
In our flat matt range chose from:
- Perfectly griege
- Fossil rock
- Delicate chalk
In our tough and washable range chose from:
- Velvet mocha
- Cosy grey
- Earthy hue
3. Update with new shelves
Keep purchasing accessories but have nowhere to put them? Showcase them on a new shelf. Our floating shelves are sleek and stylish and perfect for small ornaments and photos. You could even install them in a trio for a super stylish look.
Or opt for a shelving unit like our wilko Neo Global Round Metal Shelf in a sleek wood look finish with black frames.
4. Refresh skirting boards
Freshly painted skirting boards can make more of an impact than you think! When refreshing the room, you may forget about skirting boards, or plan to do later and then let it slip. Our tips can have your skirting boards looking fresh in just a few hours.
1. First pick your colour, go for something the same tone as your walls. Lighter colours on skirting boards will help make your room look larger, and darker colours on skirting boards will give a modern look. Our quick dry interior wood range is available in satin, gloss and eggshell finish. They’re all water-based so brushes can be washed out easily. They’re also all quick-drying and stay whiter for longer over traditional solvent-based interior wood products.
2. When painting skirting boards you will need a smaller brush, we recommend around 2 inch wide.
3. Sand the skirting board – this removes old paint and allows the new paint to adhere.
5. Tape up the edges. Use masking tape around the edge of the floor or carpet and the edge of the skirting board to create clean lines and prevent damage to your floor/carpet.
6. When painting woodwork we always recommend using a quick dry undercoat. These are designed with superb hiding power and provide excellent adhesion and act as a sound base coat to the topcoat – giving that professional finish.
7. Apply the paint evenly to the skirting board, precision is key here – take your time. Once the first coat is dry you may need a second coat if you are drastically changing the colour. Be sure to remove the masking tape as per pack instructions.
5. Update with new door knobs/handles
Give your home an instant lift with our fantastic selection of internal door knobs and door handles. From antique finishes that'll add a gorgeous touch to wooden doors to sleek chrome styles that'll bring a modern twist to any decor, there's something for every home and interior design scheme at wilko.
Don’t forget cupboard doors too. Instead of replacing a wardrobe or drawers, just update the handles or knobs - you’ll be surprised at how it can transform your units!