Kit out your student kitchen
Students don’t have a great rep when it comes to cooking a delicious meal, with beans on toast in front of the telly a common sight across the country! Fear not! We have lots of kitchenware and recipes that will have you bossing it in the kitchen.
Batch cooking is great for students as it helps look after the pennies. It helps you buy in bulk, which is often cheaper, and you’ll cook everything you buy, so it doesn’t go to waste. Lastly, you freeze it too, so it won’t go off and you’ll be able to have healthy, hearty meals in a flash. Here are the benefits of for batch cooking and how to make it a success:
- Head down to the supermarket towards the end of the day and pick up some bargains in the discount aisle. They may have short use-by-dates, but when batch cooking and freezing this won’t be a problem
- Ready prepared meals mean you won’t have to cook every night. You can simply defrost them overnight and heat up in the microwave – it saves time and perfect after a busy day and stops you reaching for the takeaway menu!
- It’s great if you’re trying to eat healthier. You can tailor each meal to your diet too
- Cook, leave to cool, and pop in lunch boxes or pack flat in freezer safe bags to save space
- Don’t forget to label with dates, and what’s inside – you don’t want to confuse your stew with spag bol!
Overnight oats to give you some oomph!
Get prepped for breakfast with brain food you can take on the go. With overnight oats, you can prep the night before and grab and go in the morning. Here’s how to make overnight oats:
Ingredients for 1 serving
- 40g rolled oats
- 100ml milk
- 50g natural yoghurt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1:- Add all the ingredients apart from blueberries to a clean mason jar and stir together
- 2:- Add the blueberries to the top
- 3:- Put a lid on the jar and pop in the fridge over night
- 4:- Enjoy in the morning or grab a spoon and enjoy on the go!
On the go food
Grabbing a meal deal a few times a week will soon drain the student funds. Our eco-friendly lunch boxes are dishwasher safe and come in stylish designs.
Our 2-in-1 breakfast containers are perfect for an on the go breakfast, with space for wet and dry ingredients to keep cereal crunchy whilst on the go.
Student life gets busy, so be sure to keep hydrated. For drinks on the go our flasks and travel bottles are double walled to keep drinks hot for 8 hours and cold for 12 hours. There’s so much choice and some even match with our lunch boxes for style conscious students.
Our fruit infuser bottles are also great to make your own healthy alternative to squash. Just chop fruit and add into the removable basket for a tasty infused drink.
Kitchen best buys under £20
Make your money go further with multifunctional products you’ll use regularly…
The wondrous wok
Stir-fries are legendary in student circles, but did you know a wok is the ultimate pan for just about every cooking technique? You can steam, deep fry, and cook anything from curries to scrambled eggs with this versatile pan! Our 24.5 cm black wok is great value, easy to clean and has fantastic reviews. It's made with lightweight and durable carbon steel, making it suitable for all hobs including induction.
Five-star slow cooker
Transform cheap cuts of meat into delicious dishes with a slow cooker. They’re economical to run, and with a bit of preparation in the morning you’ll have a Michelin-starred meal (or something close) waiting for you when you return from your lectures. Our 3.5 Litre Slow Cooker is ideal for cooking stews, curries and casseroles. The glass cover lets you see what's cooking, and when the meal is done the ceramic pot detaches for easy cleaning.
If you’re going to buy one non-essential kitchen item, we’d recommend a hand blender! At just £7, our 2-speed hand blender is easy to use and ideal for making soups and smoothies in a flash.
Toasties in a flash
Our black 4 slide sandwich toaster is perfect for busy students. If you fancy something hot, this will really come in handy. A non-stick interior means your toastie won’t get stuck and is easy to clean. Perfect toasties every time! Also, this one has over 150 5-star reviews.
Eggs cooked to perfection every time
How do you like your eggs in the morning? Our wilko 6 egg boiler has 3 settings for runny, soft or hard-boiled eggs. No more standing watching eggs cook and trying to guess if you’ve cooked them long enough. This comes with a buzzer warning and a keep warm function to ensure they are cooked how you like them…every time. The detachable frame makes for easy cleaning too! With a two-year guarantee and 5-star reviews you can’t go wrong!
Double check if you have kettle, toaster and microwave – if buying them new, split the bill with flatmates, and make sure you don’t end up with 5 toasters!
Student kitchen tips
Stay on top of the kitchen with our student kitchen tips...
- Try and stay on top of washing up - you don’t want to be that person who always leaves their dirty dishes to pile up
- Label your items in the fridge! Invest in fridge storage and label with your name – believe us when we say things will go missing!
- Make pennies go further and freeze leftovers. If you have used half an onion in your meal, chop up the rest and freeze it, the next time you’re cooking, pop out the freezer and add to your dish
- Keep shared areas clean and tidy when in accommodation, some halls have staff check these areas – keeping on top of mess will help you get your hands back on that deposit
- Check the dates on food in the fridge once a week – if you do find something out of date be sure to give the fridge a quick clean with some antibac spray
Get kitted out with our student must-haves. Shop the Uni Essentials range.